[rfc-i] Substantial revision

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue May 29 09:43:33 PDT 2012

On 5/28/2012 10:16 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-28 19:09, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> It seems obvious that system must allow for substantial revision
>>> by people other than the original authors.
>>
>> The 'system' does just like for research pubs - write the new doc from
>> material from any output format. Source isn't needed got that at all.
>
> It's not needed. It's just immensely convenient if you want to make sure
> that you don't change more than you intended to change. (Think change
> control).

Change control can be useful for IDs (using the author's source, which
might support revision), but very few RFCs are ever "bis'd", and benefit
from a clean-slate revision more than mere incremental editing. I.e.,
revision support may be useful for author source, but isn't relevant for
either the submission or output formats.

Joe