[rfc-i] ISBN and DOI

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Tue May 29 03:22:18 PDT 2012

On 28 May 2012, at 22:55, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 27 May 2012, at 16:00 , John Levine wrote:
>> A more interesting question is whether it would be worth assigning
>> DOIs, since those are fairly widely used as online references to
>> articles now.  They're also expensive.
>
> RFCs already have an RFC number, which is short enough to be memorable. Having multiple ISBN numbers for different formats of an RFC would be a mess, and even a DOI would just add more stuff to keep track of for no obvious reason that I can think of. It just dilutes the RFC "brand". Everyone who has been in this business for more than 5 minutes knows what an RFC is and they're freely available online (from multiple places) so as long as there are functioning search engines out there all these extra numbers are unnecessary.

For you, perhaps, but the lack of DOIs for RFCs is increasingly becoming a problem for me. The networking community can find RFCs just fine, but other communities some of us interact with have different standards for referencing documents, and some of those make heavy use of DOIs.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/