[rfc-i] ISBN and DOI

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon May 28 14:55:33 PDT 2012

On 27 May 2012, at 16:00 , John Levine wrote:

> A more interesting question is whether it would be worth assigning
> DOIs, since those are fairly widely used as online references to
> articles now.  They're also expensive.

RFCs already have an RFC number, which is short enough to be memorable. Having multiple ISBN numbers for different formats of an RFC would be a mess, and even a DOI would just add more stuff to keep track of for no obvious reason that I can think of. It just dilutes the RFC "brand". Everyone who has been in this business for more than 5 minutes knows what an RFC is and they're freely available online (from multiple places) so as long as there are functioning search engines out there all these extra numbers are unnecessary.