[rfc-i] Who uses Word, was Proposed new RFC submission requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Mon May 28 08:49:18 PDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Wrt containment: hopefully we agree that we want automated generation of section numbers and section references. This implies that at some point the processes used to generate the publication formats understand what's nested into what, so that they can generate those.
>
> We can either allow one of the things Word can generate as submission format (like now), but that implies that the RFC production center will have to deal with the conversion to the richer format. I believe we should avoid this, because it takes time, and we pay for that time.

As with the current Word format, I'd be glad to help find a way to support Word-based submission through additional post-processing scripts for conversion to a useful submission format. FWIW, they had been converting Word into other formats for their editing process, but when I showed them that the .doc file could be edited directly, they seemed interested at the time - they tend to care mostly how easy the format is to use, and whether it can generate the desired *output* formats.

So whether .doc is a submission format and we help support the editor with tools, or we use the tools prior to submission is a decision we can work out with the editor.

Joe