Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Mon May 28 08:38:27 PDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 3:17 AM, Peter Sylvester wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 04:47 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>
>> Source formats should be up to the author.
> As long as the transformation to whatever intermediate format insures
> reversibility of information and structure when I want to create
> a new version.

The entire publishing community - including the research community - recognizes that access to source format does not impede the ability to write new material even when it reuses previous material.

New documents shouldn't be minor revisions of existing docs. They often need to be substantially revised in content anyway, structurally reorganized, etc.

Joe