[rfc-i] ISBN and DOI

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon May 28 06:24:26 PDT 2012

I suggest that we don't pay ransom for codes. We should end the racket, not
perpetuate it.

1. Make up a number. Stick it on. Let other people deal with any collisions.

2. Use a UPC code, they are a superset of ISBN

3. Prefix UPC.

Numbers are free, there is an almost infinite number of them and nobody
'owns' them.

$1 is not a reasonable price for a unique identifier any more.

If you follow the history of these registries, patterns emerge. Pretty much
every registry scheme comes apart over time as the group charged with
administering them gets arrogant and turns to rent seeking or national
sovereignty issues are raised.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/