[rfc-i] Containment considered harmful

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sun May 27 10:55:26 PDT 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 5:45 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Yes, Word 2010 is outdate because they haven't actually fixed anything since 2003.
>
> The drawing tools still barely work. It takes six mouseclicks to paste text without carrying over formatting.

It takes two. That's one of the many updates since 2003, as with the other complaints you have.

> The only reason I use Word as opposed to other tools is that I haven't (yet) found an HTML editor that supports an outline mode. Since this was originally introduced in 1983 by a Caxton product, I don't think it unreasonable to hope that it would appear in a recent product.

That's true for me too. FWIW, I don't love Word, but it's the best of what's out there.

> Seems to me that development of office type tools basically stopped twenty years ago.

20 years ago, support for cross references, equations, and figures were outboard programs, some of which required post-processing runs. They're integrated now.

There's also quite a lot of support to override defaults.

Joe