[rfc-i] Containment considered harmful

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 23:56:40 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 11:46 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/26/12 11:28 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>
>>> I think there are several of us that believe that it's roughly similar cost
>>> to the toolchain to have more information rather than less, and as such, we
>>> may as well have more information.  There are several ways that I want to
>>> use that information that you don't care about - fine.  But if it costs the
>>> same, why not?
>>
>> I've shown that it isn't the same cost.
>
> You may have shown that it's not the same cost for folks that use outdated
> tools,

Word 2010 is outdated?

> I don't think you've shown that there's a big difference in cost for a
> competent programmer.

Show us all your competence by providing those tools - including a full-featured visual editor - for your solution then.

Or are you intending to set us up for a "solution for which a program exists, but the margin of this email is too small to show it"?

>>> "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein
>>> (misquoted)
>>
>> I'd really like you to explain how preserving all this structure for some
>> undefined future need is "as simple as possible".
>
> It's not.

Right. Except that in being not simpler, you are intending to support future tools and future uses.

Joe