[rfc-i] How "modern" word processors do it

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 22:32:34 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 8:38 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/26/12 10:18 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>
>> Also copying that retains structure to paste into another document - this RFC,
>> an I-D being written, or *anything* else, including email.
>
> What if I don't paste it?  What if I feed it directly into a compiler, for
> example?  Is that still editing?

If you feed it into a compiler, it won't work. There are VERY few examples of code in RFCs that is complete enough to compile (I provided one in RFC1810, but most are code fragments at best).

>> I just grabbed part of two different containers. That can be useful for
>> context. Why prevent it?
>
> There's nothing that prevents it. For example, you could use the comma
> operator in CSS (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1/#grouping) to select out the
> pieces you want and stitch them together.

How does that reference have anything to do with selecting portions of two different containers?

I've already shown how cut/paste of them into another doc destroys the overall XML structure where it won't compile without manual intervention.

Joe