[rfc-i] Containment considered harmful

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Sat May 26 20:27:39 PDT 2012

On 5/26/12 10:44 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Can you all PLEASE stop telling me "might". Show me a NEED.

I think there are several of us that believe that it's roughly similar cost
to the toolchain to have more information rather than less, and as such, we
may as well have more information.  There are several ways that I want to
use that information that you don't care about - fine.  But if it costs the
same, why not?

> This is NOT a contest about "how much information can we preserve". Every new
> type of information that you add to the list of preserved info LIMITS the
> solution space here.

Yup.  That's intentional.

> ³Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but
> when there is nothing left to take away² ­ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein
(misquoted)

Dueling appeal-to-authority arguments.  Nice.

--
Joe Hildebrand