[rfc-i] Containment considered harmful

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 09:44:46 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2012-05-26 16:29, Joe Touch wrote:
>>
>> On May 26, 2012, at 2:01 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> -1
>>>
>>> Lack of containment for sections means that processing software cannot
>>> be fully aware of the document structure, and that is serious restriction.
>>
>> Show me a need that isn't driven by support for editing.
>
> An kind of post-processing might need the containment information.
> There is *more* information in <section title="abc">text</section> than
> in <h1>abc</h1>text.

Can you all PLEASE stop telling me "might". Show me a NEED.

This is NOT a contest about "how much information can we preserve". Every new type of information that you add to the list of preserved info LIMITS the solution space here.

“Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Joe