[rfc-i] How "modern" word processors do it

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat May 26 09:34:02 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-26 17:18, Joe Touch wrote:
> On May 26, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>
>> On 5/26/12 9:26 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I refute claims to the need for editing operations - whether editing the doc,
>>> or editing across docs.
>> Could you at least say more about why you mean by the word "editing",
>> please?  It seems like it means something radically different to you than it
>> means to me -- for me it connotes modification.
>
> Also copying that retains structure to paste into another document - this RFC, an I-D being written, or *anything* else, including email.
>
> Editing can be useful enough without full document structure.
>
> Here's a good example of something that container editing won't allow:
>
> ---
> The interface between TCP and lower level protocol is essentially
>   unspecified except that it is assumed there is a mechanism whereby the
>   two levels can asynchronously pass information to each other.
>   Typically, one expects the lower level protocol to specify this
>   interface.  TCP is designed to work in a very general environment of
>   interconnected networks.  The lower level protocol which is assumed
>   throughout this document is the Internet Protocol [2].
>

> 1.5.  Operation
>

>   As noted above, the primary purpose of the TCP is to provide reliable,
>   securable logical circuit or connection service between pairs of
>   processes.  To provide this service on top of a less reliable internet
>   communication system requires facilities in the following areas:
> ---
>
> I just grabbed part of two different containers. That can be useful for context. Why prevent it?

Who's preventing it? You can carve out chunks from xml2rfc source files
in this way; I've done it often. What you have above is

  </section>
  <section title="Operation">

Drop that into an ongoing section in a new document and it will work fine.
It will even work fine if the section nesting level is different in the second
document. With MS-Word, dropping a Heading1 in the middle of a set of
Heading2s can spoil your afternoon.

    Brian