[rfc-i] How "modern" word processors do it

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 09:18:45 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/26/12 9:26 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>
>> I refute claims to the need for editing operations - whether editing the doc,
>> or editing across docs.
>
> Could you at least say more about why you mean by the word "editing",
> please?  It seems like it means something radically different to you than it
> means to me -- for me it connotes modification.

Also copying that retains structure to paste into another document - this RFC, an I-D being written, or *anything* else, including email.

Editing can be useful enough without full document structure.

Here's a good example of something that container editing won't allow:

---
The interface between TCP and lower level protocol is essentially
  unspecified except that it is assumed there is a mechanism whereby the
  two levels can asynchronously pass information to each other.
  Typically, one expects the lower level protocol to specify this
  interface.  TCP is designed to work in a very general environment of
  interconnected networks.  The lower level protocol which is assumed
  throughout this document is the Internet Protocol [2].

1.5.  Operation

  As noted above, the primary purpose of the TCP is to provide reliable,
  securable logical circuit or connection service between pairs of
  processes.  To provide this service on top of a less reliable internet
  communication system requires facilities in the following areas:
---

I just grabbed part of two different containers. That can be useful for context. Why prevent it?

Joe