[rfc-i] How "modern" word processors do it

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 08:26:01 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 1:55 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does OOXML support containment? Not everywhere; as far as I can tell the
> fragment below has the semantics of <h1>Introduction</h1> rather than
> <section title="Introduction">. This explains why MS Word is seemingly
> unaware of overall document structure.

FYI, it is aware of enough doc structure - it just doesn't emit the full structure in "save as HTML".

> Nevertheless, OOXML does seem to require
> localised containment of these <w> things.
>
> Unsurprisingly, ODF format is cleaner and simpler but is also <h1>-like:
> <text:h text:style-name="Heading_20_1" text:outline-level="1">Introduction</text:h>
>
> My point is anyway that "WYSIWYG" always hides markup and what really matters
> is the richness or poverty of the underlying markup. I think we are going
> at this all wrong, and should start by deciding what properties the underlying
> markup MUST preserve. I am certain the list is significantly larger than Joe's
> and I would start with XML2RFC's capabilities and work from there.

The list needs to be motivated by a requirement. I gave what I consider the minimal list for document access/filing and navigation.  There could be other additions, but the list needs to be kept minimal.

I refute claims to the need for editing operations - whether editing the doc, or editing across docs.

Xml2rfc is way overkill for the former, and afaict driven only by the latter.

Joe