Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sat May 26 08:20:16 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 12:00 AM, Joe Hildebrand <jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:

> On 5/26/12 12:40 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I assume the sections are separated by a header, which has a depth
>>> associated with it?  Everything between headers is in the same section.
>>
>> But not necessarily the same container.
>
> You can intuit a container (and add it if need-be) if the sections are
> separated.  I'd walk through the logic for it, but you haven't been
> interested in algorithms to this point.  Perhaps you could either care, or
> take my word for it?

If that's always true (an I don't think so - I gave an example that could need other one list container or two), then you can do this on a file submitted without containers - or even on on output without them too.  So you've just proven we don't ever need to put them in.

>> You've only given the same reason repeatedly - editing. Support for editing
>> was not given for any formats except authoring, which we all seem to agree
>> ought to be up to authors.
>
> No, I've given two.  Programmatic editing is one, and information extraction
> is the other.  The extraction function has nothing to do with editing, since
> it does not modify the file.

Extraction is editing. And you still haven't shown why extraction needs structure except to copy text in one group without headers - and that is a contrived academic example that you haven't shown the requirement for.

Joe