[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri May 25 23:22:46 PDT 2012

On 5/26/12 12:13 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Why should I think about that code? Why is that ever needed except to edit?

Because I asked nicely?  Because we're having a technical discussion, where
implementation complexity is a relevant design parameter?

> That is definitely NOT a presentation or navigation issue. It is thus out of
> scope for as a requirement for the submission format, I claim.

I reject that claim.  If the Editor is going to generate multiple output
formats from the submission format, the submission format must be easy to
handle programmatically.  As such, presentation and navigation are secondary
issues for the submission format, and are only at relevant in the case where
the submission format is one of the output formats (as would be possible
with HTML).

>>> It has nothing to do with
>>> containment unless containment is retained across reuses - which it likely
>>> will not be.
>>
>> I really don't understand that statement.  Why would the containment change
>> over time?  Once the file is published, it's immutable.
>
> Your need for code is a need to support reuse after it's published in a new
> doc. I contend that this support for reuse is not - and should not be - a
> requirement.

Oh, you mean that you don't want to be able to retrieve information from the
published document easily.  I think that's short-sighted, particularly if we
can provide the capability with relatively little overhead.

--
Joe Hildebrand