Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri May 25 23:16:23 PDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 11:10 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/25/12 11:47 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>
>> If it requires denoting the full document structure, that's hard to
>> impossible, and not clear why that would/should be a requirement.
>
> Can you give a couple of reasons why you think this is "impossible"?

Not all author formats keep the containment structure you expect. If they don't, it cannot be extracted to be provided as an input format.

E.g., Word doesn't use that structure. I could add it for heading sections (it's easy to generate from nested navigation tags), but cannot generate it for lists or other sections - there's no way to differentiate between a set of paragraphs that are not related and ones that are, so there's no way to group them in a container.

Again, except for editing, why does this matter? I have not seen a requirement that drives the need for containment labels.

Joe