[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri May 25 23:13:06 PDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 5/25/12 8:02 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>
>>> That's trivial with containment.
>>
>> That's trivial in general using diff and search.
>
> I really don't understand why this is so difficult to explain.
>
> Contained:

>  <h2>Security Considerations</h2>
>    <h3>Subsection</h3>
>
> Flat:
>
> <h2>Security Considerations</h2>
> <h3>Subsection</h3>
>
> Think about the code that would be required to pull out "Para 1 Para 2 Para
> 3".

Why should I think about that code? Why is that ever needed except to edit?

That is definitely NOT a presentation or navigation issue. It is thus out of scope for as a requirement for the submission format, I claim.

>> It has nothing to do with
>> containment unless containment is retained across reuses - which it likely
>> will not be.
>
> I really don't understand that statement.  Why would the containment change
> over time?  Once the file is published, it's immutable.

Your need for code is a need to support reuse after it's published in a new doc. I contend that this support for reuse is not - and should not be - a requirement.

Joe