[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri May 25 23:06:48 PDT 2012

On 5/25/12 8:02 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> That's trivial with containment.
>
> That's trivial in general using diff and search.

I really don't understand why this is so difficult to explain.

Contained:

  <h2>Security Considerations</h2>
    <h3>Subsection</h3>

Flat:

<h2>Security Considerations</h2>
<h3>Subsection</h3>

Think about the code that would be required to pull out "Para 1 Para 2 Para
3".  In the contained version, it's just $("div#security").text(), and
you're done.  In the flat version, you'd need to write a bunch of code that
basically implemented the HTML5 section rules, or turn it into the contained
version first (which might actually be easier).

> It has nothing to do with
> containment unless containment is retained across reuses - which it likely
> will not be.

I really don't understand that statement.  Why would the containment change
over time?  Once the file is published, it's immutable.

--
Joe Hildebrand