[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri May 25 15:10:27 PDT 2012

Joe Touch wrote:

> Joe Hildebrand <jhildebr at cisco.com>
> >
> > Without containment, moving stuff around is going to be a PITA.
>
> You are confusing an editing requirement with a marking
> requirement needed for user navigation.

While automatic and fully dynamic section numbering might help
the chaotic creative processes of some authors, it is not a
necessary prerequisite for producing I-Ds or RFCs for everyone.

While it may take slightly more typing when doing major document
restructuring, having explicit section numbers spelled out in the
source (as is currently necessary with NRoffEdit) can similarily
help in navigation while paging around in the authoring source.

If being extra chaotic causes extra work, one tends to plan ahead
a little more, and at least for some creative minds, that little
extra planning may well pay off (it does for me).

But I'm also no fan of pathologically small sections
(I would not want my specification to look like a powerpoint).

-Martin