[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri May 25 12:59:46 PDT 2012

>> Nested containment levels rad needed only when the heading labels are unspecified.  ...

>and it turns out that bar is really a subspecies of foo, I can just do
>this: ...

Having written what was probably the world's first outline editor in
1978, I can say that the choice between showing heading levels with
nesting vs. explicit levels is quite arbitrary.  They accomplish
pretty much the same thing, it's easy to invent scenarios where one or
the other is easier to do.  Numbered levels offer the option of
non-consecutive header levels, which is either a feature or a bug.

My inclination is to leave xml2rfc alone, and not to mess with it just
to work around the limitations of proprietary software that one person
prefers to use.

R's,
John