Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri May 25 11:02:31 PDT 2012

It’s probably worth saying that for a lot of us, the term “WYSIWYG” is sort
of a red flag, suggesting that the person who emits it is either clueless
or ill-informed.

People with a background in the paper publishing industry know that it was
always a lie; the equivalence between a <100dpi screen and a >1000dpi sheet
of paper was never remotely close.

For those of us with a background in the electronic-publishing
technologies, there have always been resizeable windows, and then when the
Web came along, it made WYSIWYG just a bad joke.  The advent of radical
variation in screen sizes has buried it deeper in history’s dumpster.

If you believe that what you see as you author is even a remote
approximation of the readers’ experiences, you’re deluding yourself in a
dangerous way. -Tim