[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri May 25 09:33:23 PDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Well, not having containment will make it much much harder to extract meaningful information, such as a page range for an index entry.

Everyone keeps arguing we don't need page numbers anyway. I agree to that - provided section numbers can be put on printout headers or footers.

> I still don't understand what problems is solved by flattening the structure.

HTML is a markup language, not a structure language. That's why HTML might be reasonable as the canonical (internal) format for archival purposes.

XML is a structural language, which is *much* more than we need, and not ready for prime-time long-term use IMO. It cannot be easily edited or generated by modern word processors as far as I've seen.

Joe