[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri May 25 08:45:40 PDT 2012

On 25 mei 2012, at 17:11, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Containment is not only simpler to process, it also ensures on the source level that the document structure makes sense.

> I recommend you google for "HTML outline algorithm" for attempts to extract a usable section tree from an HTML document.

Not sure what "containment" means.

I don't see how making the format harder to generate for humans just so tools have it easier makes sense.

Remember, we're not reinventing the web here. Unlike on the web, there is a feedback loop back to authors so stuff that doesn't work will get fixed before publication.

With XML2RFC wrong trade offs were made, a new format is a good time to revisit the most problematic ones.