[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri May 25 06:49:46 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:

> > Reality check:
> >
> >    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2246
>
> You realize that that's not "the" RFC format, right?

And you realize that "current" Browsers is currently still
the wrong tool to visualize & print "plain/text", so it
is extremely logical to use the HTML-ized version of
the TXT documents with those, isn't it?

> > prints pages correctly (on A4 paper) out-of-the-box with
> >     Chrome on Win7
> >     MSIE 8 on Win7
> >     MSIE 8 on WinXP
> >
> > I had to change "scale" to 95% in Firefox 3.6 in PrintPreview to
>
> Note that 3.6 has been end-of-lifed a few weeks ago.

Firefox 4-8 have been end-of-lifed even before that, so continuing
to use FF 3.6 is pretty reasonable.

I want to use a Browser which will have the same level of support
today and in 5 years.  Since FF decided that they will support all
of their current browsers in exactly the same fashion in 5 years from now
(=not at all), I'm free to pick whichever version works best for me.

Since I am actively using extensions/add-ons that do now work in FF12,
_my_ pick is pretty easy.  Running FF 3.6 with a manually beefed-up AdBlock
plus NoScript plus CertPatrol is also likely much safer than any
"currently supported" FF with default settings will ever be.

> > make it break pages correctly, whereas FF 12 on Win7 seems to break
> > pages correctly with the default scale "shrink to fit" (for A4 paper)
> > and the default margins of 1/2 in. all around.
> >
> > The reason why MSIE 8 and Chome break pages incorrectly with
> >
> >    http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt
> >
> > is a bug with respect to processing ASCII FormFeeds (12d/0x0c)
> > characters when printing text/plain contents.
>
> Has anybody reported a bug?

Those who believe that their Browser should be capable of rendering
plain/text correctly to their printer should file a bug report.

*I* do not use my Browser for _printing_ (its a painful waste of paper).

-Martin