[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri May 25 03:43:47 PDT 2012

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> > On 5/23/12 12:29 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I boldly assume that this is within the skill level expected
> >> from the target audience of IETF RFCs.
>
> I find that attitude really unpleasant.
>
> The fact that I can get a result with ten minutes of work that I
> should be able to achieve with a mouseclick does not mean that it is
> acceptable to me to do so.
>
> The ten minutes costs my clients a non-negligible sum of money.
>
> Not being able to read a document on the device of my choice adds to
> my production costs. I have 12 computers in the house that should be
> adequate for editing RFCs but only one that I actually use because I
> need the outsized displays.
>
> Yes, I can do a lot of things. But I don't want to waste my time on makework.

Reality check:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2246

prints pages correctly (on A4 paper) out-of-the-box with
   Chrome on Win7
   MSIE 8 on Win7
   MSIE 8 on WinXP

I had to change "scale" to 95% in Firefox 3.6 in PrintPreview to
make it break pages correctly, whereas FF 12 on Win7 seems to break
pages correctly with the default scale "shrink to fit" (for A4 paper)
and the default margins of 1/2 in. all around.

The reason why MSIE 8 and Chome break pages incorrectly with

  http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt

is a bug with respect to processing ASCII FormFeeds (12d/0x0c)
characters when printing text/plain contents.

You're in the CABrowser Forum -- tell the browser maintainers to fix
their text/plain printing, a code change in the ballpark of 1-10 LoC
-- the browsers have to be patched every other week anyway.

You could have easily provided this answer yourself -- if you had
wanted to.

-Martin