[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri May 25 00:19:07 PDT 2012

On 2012/05/25 3:06, Joe Touch wrote:

>> First of all, a format that supports reflowing of course needs to
>> understand what is monospaced.HTML does this. We have discussed this
>> here multiple times. It's really annoying that you keep bringing it up
>> as it was a hard problem nobody has solved.
>
> My point was that reflow has nothing to do with font spacing. You
> claimed it did.

There's certainly some relationship between font spacing and reflow.

Also, please note that while for ASCII, it's usual to have fixed-width
fonts, such fonts don't exactly exist for Unicode. There are several
models that come close to the "fixed width" model of ASCII, such as the
East Asian full-width/half-width model, but for some scripts (e.g.
Arabic), any kind of fixed-pitch model is looking highly suboptimal. On
top of that, there's the issue of character width vs. bytes-per-character.

Of course, we don't expect too much (non-ASCII) Unicode stuff, but being
able to reflow will help visual quality where we need Unicode, avoiding
too short or too long lines even after using careful heuristics when
trying to line-break the text.

Regards,   Martin.