[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 15:16:38 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 3:04 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> As Iljitsch noted, e.g., the current XML uses nested tags that Word has
> trouble generating. If we look more at what kind of stuff Word DOES
> generate, that's a hint at what might be feasible in Word.

It's a reasonable discussion to have whether sections contain sections, or
whether we just use the heading number (h1-h6) to intuit relationships.  I
don't have a strong preference.  The CSS is probably a *little* easier with
containing, but it's doable either way.

> See http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/tcp-ao-html/
>
> Note - it already indents and reflows. Yes, it's still using fixed-width
> fonts, and also still uses ASCII diagrams. Ignore the colors - they're
> there as a helper for authors.

Make your browser very narrow, and navigate to section 4.1, please.  Note
that your ascii art gets mangled, since it's not wrapped in a <pre> tag (or
a div with style whitespace: pre).

For more info on your choices for wrapping and whitespace handling, see:

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_text_white-space.asp

--
Joe Hildebrand