Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 14:47:04 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 2:49 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> If that's the case, then why not continue to accept multiple input formats?
>> Joe's statement was that there had to be one.
>
> There has to be one canonical format. There does not have to be one
> input format for submission.

There doesn't *have* to be one input format for all submissions, but if I
were the RFC editor, I'd sure prefer that, in order to drastically reduce
the amount of tooling required.  N input formats * M output formats = a
mess.

I would say that for a *given* submission, I would like there to be exactly
one input, from which all of the output formats are generated.  If we don't
take this approach, there's no way, short of heroic human effort, to ensure
that the multiple inputs say the same thing.

--
Joe Hildebrand