[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 24 14:04:04 PDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 1:52 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> I was the one who wrote that back-end, updating it from a preliminary
>> version that wasn't full-featured. I can revise that within the
>> limitations of what Word can do - I'm worried about needing to insert
>> a CSS file, or generate custom tags per se. I'm not saying we can't do
>> it, but I want to know we can before we toss it out the window.
>
> There's a zillion format converters for document formats in various
> versions of Word. If it turns out that there's more than one person who
> wants to use Word to edit I-D's, I don't think it would be a big deal to
> find someone with experience in writing them to do a converter to and
> from whatever format we pick.
>
> As a prototype, it should be reasonably straightforward to do it
> outboard, to and from the mess that is DOCX format.

For those interested, I'm thinking of the .DOTX file needed to have Word
"save as HTML" generate the right stuff - not something that translates
from the native .DOCX file directly.

As Iljitsch noted, e.g., the current XML uses nested tags that Word has
trouble generating. If we look more at what kind of stuff Word DOES
generate, that's a hint at what might be feasible in Word.

(Not that this should drive the discussion, but if we can chose a format
that isn't Word-hostile and it doesn't otherwise matter, I would hope we
would)

See http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/tcp-ao-html/

Note - it already indents and reflows. Yes, it's still using fixed-width
fonts, and also still uses ASCII diagrams. Ignore the colors - they're
there as a helper for authors.

And yes, the HTML source is a mess; there ought to be a way to make it
simpler, but I haven't looked at that yet.

Joe