Yoav Nir ynir at checkpoint.com
Thu May 24 13:36:02 PDT 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 9:10 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Are other folks on this list happy with the proposal to require xml2rfc as mandatory for the input format for RFC publishing? This would apply to all the streams (Independent, IRTF, and IAB), not just IETF documents.

I am, or at least I am all for having the XML as the preferred input format

> My personal preference would be to make text the input format, with the expectation that the RFC Editor would continue to add the necessary markup (possibly starting from XML, if it is submitted) and produce the different formats. I am particularly concerned about making input to the RFC series harder fro the Independent Stream.

I would rather that the author supply the markup. That way an automatic tool can create the HTML and PDF versions. This is particularly good for Internet Drafts, as there's no "I-D editor" to add markup to your drafts, and we would like them to look as close as possible to the finished RFC.