[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 12:50:11 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 12:29 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>>> - how does the directive get into the HTML?
>>
>> <pre>
>> My special
>> Code
>> That
>> Doesn't
>> Break
>> </pre>
>>
>> And then in the css:
>
> Right. So not in the HTML per se. In the CSS.

This is important:
No.  It relies on both.  The <pre> tag is markup that differentiates this
section from the rest of the text.  It is a semantic hint that the text
inside the element is pre-formatted.  We can add classes as well to give
further semantic hints, like:

<pre class='code abnf'>

Which means this is code (not ascii-art), and that it's ABNF (not ASN.1).

>>    pre {
>>      page-break-inside: avoid;
>>    }

This CSS is applied because the formatting makes sense for that semantic.

The important bit is that the parts that need different semantic processing
are trivial to distinguish from the "plain text" portions (presumably in <p>
tags) by systems that post-process the HTML source, such as browsers that
are overlaying CSS styles.

>> There will obviously need to be a page break if your pre is longer than a
>> page, same as in any page-based system.
>
> Can you post a version we can test?

Yes, I'm working on it.  It may take a couple of days yet.

Also note that some existing browsers may have bugs in these areas; I think
this is an opportunity to get some of those bugs fixed, not a reason to
avoid the markup.

As I mentioned very early on in the conversation, I'm much more worried
about browsers from 10, 20, 50 years from now and how *they* deal with the
format than I am in how unpatched browsers from 10 years ago behave,
particularly for our community of interest.

--
Joe Hildebrand