[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 10:44:49 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 11:14 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> There is a long-term answer to having page numbers in the TOC when printed,
>> but no browser support yet.  I'm still thinking about what else can be done
>> for this desire.
> I don't think it's important in the browser display. It could be
> sufficient if only in the printout.

Agree, since "page" doesn't mean much on-screen.

>> To clarify, do you mean this specifically with regard to printing?
> No - it refers to the entire suite of tools needed, including authorship.

Then I agree with you.

>> Understood.  I think there's a path to that which uses the browser itself as
>> the editing environment, but there are tons of HTML tools that get you
>> pretty close in the meantime.
> I heard such claims for xml2rfc, and tried it about 4 times periodically
> since that was introduced. None were even close to what modern doc
> editing systems have been doing for 25 years.

Having built a first pass at something like this for xml2rfc, I understand
your skepticism.

One thing that would help this would be to edit HTML instead of xml2rfc's
XML format.  The tooling would flow much more naturally.

Joe Hildebrand