[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 24 11:35:18 PDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 11:28 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-24 20:19, Joe Touch wrote:
>> I'm claiming that variable fonts does NOT require reflow.
>
> Yes. I hear you. They do not require reflow, but they are much better
> when reflow can happen.
>
>> Variable fonts + reflow still destroys lists, tables, etc. UNLESS there
>> is other support for spacing - e.g., tabs or indent changes.
>
> Yes. That's why I think that sticking with text/plain isn't going to work.
>
>> Variable fonts + such tabs/indents works fine, and does NOT *require*
>> reflow. It doesn't reflow, but it still gives non-scrambled output.
>
> Do you have a concrete format in mind that you want to propose?

I don't mind if HTML is the *output* format. I mind if it's a required
submission format. I'm not yet sure how I feel about it being the
canonical (archival) format, since reuse of existing text is somewhat
painful if the HTML and CSS isn't *very clean* (or, in the case of CSS,
possibly nonexistent).

> I'm asking because HTML has solved all these issues, and I haven't seen
> a serious alternate proposal that does this as well.
>
>> Yes - TXT is not HTML, and TXT requires fixed fonts to make the indents
>> work on things like tables and lists, in addition to art. This is more
>> important for tables and code than lists per se - lists are just
>> shifted. In the Word template, tables and code use the same style - that
>
> But they are shifted inconsistently when part of the indentation uses
> characters which are not the same width.

I changed the txt to Times (i.e., this isn't from the source file, but
from the txt) - see here:

http://www.isi.edu/touch/rfc-i-2012.gif

It seems to indent fine enough.

>> of figures - for exactly that reason, i.e., so Word won't reflow the
>> text at edit-time.
>
> Treating tables as something preformatted is not only a disservice to
> people with other display sizes, but also to those who have to rely on
> assistive technologies.

That's what I do with the current txt format. If we did have an HTML
output format, reflow within the cells is fine.

Joe