[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu May 24 11:05:20 PDT 2012

On 24 May 2012, at 19:54 , Joe Touch wrote:

> I'm confused - someone else claimed that reflow is essential to using variable-width fonts.

> I'm demonstrating it's not true except for trivial aesthetics.

> What [part is ridiculous about my response?

By way of example I included 72 i's and 72 w's in my message. Even if you don't care that the i's leave an enormous amount of unused space, how exactly do you intend to fit 72 w's on a single line?

The obvious answer is that the code in charge of displaying the text performs word wrap taking per letter spacing into account. This has been standard operating procedure since the advent of graphical user interfaces and typesetting. Claiming that we can forego that feature sound pretty ridiculous to me.

There is a legitimate argument to be made that changing the format is not worth the effort.

There are many legitimate issues with any and all proposals that people have floated so far.

But claiming that 72 characters per line is just fine even with a variable with font is not a useful contribution to the discussion.