[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 24 10:17:47 PDT 2012

> On 5/24/12 9:21 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> a usable printout is more important than a pretty phone display.
>
> Staying at the level of dueling opinions, I find it passing strange that
> the *Internet* Engineering Task Force would optimize for print. IMO the
> ability to view our specifications on a myriad of devices connected to
> the Internet is more important than a usable printout.
>
> Peter

There are good reasons:

a) specs and docs are still printed out

b) I'm not claiming it's *more* important, but that we should be very
careful about trading inconvenience on one device for inconvenience on
another.

I agree that we would expect more people to use the *output* (not
necessarily the canonical) on a variety of devices, but I don't think
that it's at all critical to be able to view any of these on anything as
small as a phone. Even a Kindle seems fine for reading fiction, but not
useful for anything technical.

I.e., students can get textbooks in mobile formats, but at USC I don't
see them reading technical ones on things smaller than an iPad.

Joe