[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 24 10:14:34 PDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 9:59 AM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 5/24/12 10:47 AM, "Joe Touch"<touch at isi.edu>  wrote:
>
>> - the ability to prevent page breaks across groups of output
>> e.g., diagrams at a minimum
>
> Agree, and we've got a solution for that in HTML that works well.
>
>> - the ability to generate either page numbers or section numbers on each
>> page
>
> Yup.  Not a problem, as long as we stick with section numbers.
>
>> if page numbers, a TOC
>
> There is a long-term answer to having page numbers in the TOC when printed,
> but no browser support yet.  I'm still thinking about what else can be done
> for this desire.

I don't think it's important in the browser display. It could be
sufficient if only in the printout.

>> And, of course, compatibility with a reasonable variety of tools that
>> either exist or are at least provided before we make a decision.
>
> To clarify, do you mean this specifically with regard to printing?

No - it refers to the entire suite of tools needed, including authorship.

>> BTW, the killer for me for HTML is the lack of WYSIWYG structural
>> editing, but that's not a printout problem.
>
> Understood.  I think there's a path to that which uses the browser itself as
> the editing environment, but there are tons of HTML tools that get you
> pretty close in the meantime.

I heard such claims for xml2rfc, and tried it about 4 times periodically
since that was introduced. None were even close to what modern doc
editing systems have been doing for 25 years.

Joe