[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 09:59:20 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 10:47 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> - the ability to prevent page breaks across groups of output
> e.g., diagrams at a minimum

Agree, and we've got a solution for that in HTML that works well.

> - the ability to generate either page numbers or section numbers on each
> page

Yup.  Not a problem, as long as we stick with section numbers.

> if page numbers, a TOC

There is a long-term answer to having page numbers in the TOC when printed,
but no browser support yet.  I'm still thinking about what else can be done
for this desire.

> And, of course, compatibility with a reasonable variety of tools that
> either exist or are at least provided before we make a decision.

To clarify, do you mean this specifically with regard to printing?

> BTW, the killer for me for HTML is the lack of WYSIWYG structural
> editing, but that's not a printout problem.

Understood.  I think there's a path to that which uses the browser itself as
the editing environment, but there are tons of HTML tools that get you
pretty close in the meantime.

Joe Hildebrand