[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 08:15:06 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 8:58 AM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> Perhaps you misunderstood my question then.  I want to know what functional
>> requirements you're missing from HTML printouts today.  That's a far cry
>> from saying I don't care how pretty it is.
>
> I don't agree with your question.

So you don't *have* any functional issues?

> Or maybe I should just turn it around - what
> *functional* requirements does txt not meet on smartphones?

Unicode.  Internal linking.  Scrolling without panning / reflowing.

> As per my other post, change is fine if we know the cost. The cost isn't zero,
> and it is different for each of us.

Agree.  But the cost is not infinite for any of us.

I'm going to fight attempts to artificially inflate the perceived cost of
change.  Since you don't have any functional reasons why HTML printing won't
work for you, *every* time you claim it won't work, I'm going to ask you
that question.

--
Joe Hildebrand