[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 24 07:25:31 PDT 2012

On 5/24/12 2:58 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> On 24 May 2012, at 5:55 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>
>> The folks that don't like the lineprinter format have specific functional
>> requirements that the status quo does not offer.
>
> There is one feature that's important for printing that is not available in
> browsers today as far as I know: having a table of contents with page number
> references.

The TOC is easy to generate in the fixup process.  44 lines of JavaScript
that also renumbers the section headings.

> However, a few browsers that I tested are capable of page numbering, so taking
> that next step seems like something that could happen at some point in the
> future. Until that time people who want to have a table of contents with page
> numbers in it would have to use an alternative PDF or formatted ASCII version
> of an RFC.

OK, there's a functional requirement for printing that HTML doesn't solve.
As a reader, you want to print, refer to the TOC at the front, and easily
skip to the right page in the printout.

(note: I'm not saying I think this requirement is a high priority, but at
least it's concrete)

Are there others?

--
Joe Hildebrand