[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 24 02:03:42 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-24 10:58, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 24 May 2012, at 5:55 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>
>> The folks that don't like the lineprinter format have specific functional
>> requirements that the status quo does not offer.
>
> There is one feature that's important for printing that is not available in browsers today as far as I know: having a table of contents with page number references.
>
> However, a few browsers that I tested are capable of page numbering, so taking that next step seems like something that could happen at some point in the future. Until that time people who want to have a table of contents with page numbers in it would have to use an alternative PDF or formatted ASCII version of an RFC.

It is possible with HTML/CSS, but is not implemented in browsers.

You get TOC (and index) page numbers when generating PDF output from
rfc2629.xslt [1] with PrinceXML [2], though.

Best regards, Julian

[1] <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html>
[2] <http://www.princexml.com/>