[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed May 23 14:50:11 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-23 23:38, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 5/23/12 3:35 PM, "Joe Touch"<touch at isi.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Why is that good enough for printing HTML and not for viewing TXT in a
>> browser?
>
> Because they are not the same value of "good enough".  The output from
> printing a careful subset of HTML in a modern browser is perfectly fine.
> The output from printing the lineprinter format in a browser is a mess, with
> headers and footers strewn about in the middle of almost every page.

+1

Absolutely. I recommend that those who claim that HTML can not be
printed take <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc6266.html> as example
and print it from Firefox. Make sure to go to "Print Preview" first and
select "100%", not "scale to fit".

I to realize that it's not perfect with respect to widows and orphans,
but it's usable. If you need more quality, try Prince
(<http://princexml.com/>).

>> My concern is that over-optimizing for browsers is tossing the ability
>> to print readable paper out the window - and it's a bit premature for that.
>
> My concern is that a false dichotomy can be used to try to prevent forward
> motion.

Indeed.

Best regards, Julian