[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed May 23 14:38:27 PDT 2012

On 5/23/12 3:35 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Why is that good enough for printing HTML and not for viewing TXT in a
> browser?

Because they are not the same value of "good enough".  The output from
printing a careful subset of HTML in a modern browser is perfectly fine.
The output from printing the lineprinter format in a browser is a mess, with
headers and footers strewn about in the middle of almost every page.

> My concern is that over-optimizing for browsers is tossing the ability
> to print readable paper out the window - and it's a bit premature for that.

My concern is that a false dichotomy can be used to try to prevent forward
motion.

--
Joe Hildebrand