[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 23 13:51:24 PDT 2012

On 23 May 2012, at 22:25 , Joe Touch wrote:

> The problem is using HTML as a format anyone expects to sensibly print paper from. It's insufficient - it would easily allow single lines, or even wrapped heading lines - to break across printout pages.

> I.e., if paper printout is a requirement, then we need to consider the impact on the format.

Well, obviously printing is still a requirement, even though IMO the display on screens takes precedence. Your assumption is that if the format is HTML it must be possible to print from a browser. However, this could also happen through a separate tool, or by having alternative print-ready versions published by the RFC Editor.

If we consider non-HTML RFCng formats, then the only ones that come to mind that are natively printable are text and PDF. Sticking with text basically means that the only improvement we can make is allowing UTF-8, while PDF has issues with complexity of the format and screen display, to name just the two most prominent ones.

And browsers _can_ print HTML, it's just that the results aren't as pretty as they could be. That could improve over time, though, especially as RFCs are a large body of publications that people tend to print which people implementing browsers are familiar with.

By the way, see this discussion and its sample doc:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/boom
http://people.opera.com/howcome/2005/ala/sample.html

So in 2005 the functionality that we'd need was experimental, but it apparently hasn't been included in popular browsers since then.