[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed May 23 13:33:58 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-23 22:25, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 5/23/2012 1:21 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2012-05-23 21:37, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> Removing page numbers is only one part of the problem; there are "tons"
>>> of other problems that make printing web pages nonsensical.
>>
>> We're not discussing "web pages" in general, but HTML as a possible
>> future RFC format.
>>
>> What are these problems, considering this scope?
>
> The problem is using HTML as a format anyone expects to sensibly print
> paper from. It's insufficient - it would easily allow single lines, or
> even wrapped heading lines - to break across printout pages.

This is not an HTML but a CSS question. CSS allows to specify where page
breaks are allowed (or required), but it is true that browser support
for these features is incomplete.

> I.e., if paper printout is a requirement, then we need to consider the
> impact on the format.

I think it is a requirement that the text can be printed. I don't think
it should be a requirement that widows and orphans need to be optimized.

If that *would* be a requirement, the IETF could purchase a license for
PrinceXML and publish the PDFs it can generate from properly formatted HTML.

Best regards, Julian