[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed May 23 12:33:24 PDT 2012

On 5/23/12 1:09 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> The claim was that we needed a vintage line printer. We proved that
> isn't the case. Whether this is a goal of the format or not, it's not a
> limitation.

The claim was intended to be that you needed a vintage line printer for it
to not require gyrations.  I apologize if I didn't make that clear enough.
Importing into a different application and making a ton of formatting tweaks
definitely count as gyrations to me.

> Now you want to print from a browser. Browsers are for browsing, not
> printing - try going to an arbitrary web page and printing it and see
> what you get.

A nicely formatted page that includes all of the information I saw on the
screen, particularly if the author was careful about how they constructed
the page.

> There might be a solution in here somewhere, but it involves changing
> browsers to know more about how to render printouts. I'm not sure that's
> a useful requirement.

Or not being so hung up on the absolute positioning of things on the page
(including getting rid of page numbers as anchors) that we don't need
anything more than what browsers currently do.  A slight shift in
requirements from "the requirement is this particular solution that we
currently have" to "the requirement is this use pattern" is all that it
takes.

Joe Hildebrand