[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Wed May 23 11:29:01 PDT 2012

Joe Touch wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> >> Printing the current format is an absolute mess, unless you
> >> have a vintage line printer.
> >
> > Not true. I regularly print I-Ds and occasionally RFCs in
> > "booklet" format on all kinds of printers (as long as they
> > support that format of course, but it seems to be widespread
> > on duplex printers).
>
> FWIW, MS Word imports .txt files with ^L's fine, and respects them as
> page breaks.

Now that you mention it.

Wordpad (which is part of Microsoft Windows), also understands
and respects FormFeed (^L) characters.  On Windows XP/2003,
it will directly print RFCs correctly (due to the default 10cpi
font size and default 1inch left and right margin).

WordPad in Windows 7 uses different defaults. (1 1/4 left and right
margins and 11cpi font size), so what you would have to do to make
it print

   - Drop-down Menu "Page Setup" change the left & right margins
     to 1inch (25.4mm) -- that setting is memorized through restarts

   - after loading of the rfcXXXX.txt in Win7 Wordpad,
     use "Select All" (Keyboard Shortcut <Ctrl-A>)
     and then change the font size in the drop-down list next to the
     font name in the Toolbar(Ribbon) from its "11"cpi size to "10" cpi.

   - print.

I boldly assume that this is within the skill level expected
from the target audience of IETF RFCs.

-Martin