[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 22 20:09:16 PDT 2012

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Martin Rex wrote:
> >Since RFCs do NOT change after publication, the preformatted page
> >numbers are completely stable and there is *NO* confusion about what
> >page 87 of rfc1122 refers to.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122#page-87 seems to refer to page 86.

MSIE, FF and Chrome correctly navigate to Page 87.

> Does the page number precede or follow the page?

Neither. It is printed at the bottom of the _same_ page.

> Is the Abstract in the plain text version on page 0 or on page 1?

Page 1.   Where do you see a [Page 0] ?

> Given that RFC 1122 seems to end with "Page 116", it seems page numbers
> are at the bottom, so page 0 seems to be the first one.

Really, how did you get http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122
to render with [Page 0] at the end of the title page?

> Books normally start at page 1, after some
> non-counted pages perhaps. I would call that confusing...

Books usually contain an uncounted cover plus an uncounted inner page
and then start with i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi for preface and table of contents
and then start over with pages 1, 2, 3, ...

-Martin