[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue May 22 16:22:12 PDT 2012

On 5/22/12 4:31 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

> Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>>
>> Even if all your points remain relevant in a new system, which would
>> be unexpected to say the least, I still want pagination to go because
>> linking to a page is something that very rarely happens, while trying
>> to read an RFC with pages
>
> As I previously mentioned, I regularly print out RFCs that I implement
> and use the printed copy, and I am strongly opposed to make future RFCs
> offline-unusable just for the sake of the fun of it.

I already provided a potential solution for this:

@media print {
  p[id]:after {
    content: " [#" attr(id) "]";
  }
}

Since not everyone is a CSS expert, let me break that down and explain what
it does.

> @media print {

Only apply this portion of the CSS when we're printing, not on-screen.

>   p[id]

For every paragraph element with an id attribute (which looks like: <p
id='foo'>bar</p>)

> :after {

Right after that element

>     content:

Insert some content

> " [#" attr(id) "]";

That consists of the literal text " [", the value of the id attribute, and
the literal text "]".  In the printout, this looks like:

bar [#foo]

Other styling information like color and font can also be applied so that
the inserted text is less intrusive.  Note that this does not require
JavaScript, works in all modern browsers, and makes every section (or
potentially every paragraph) easy to refer to.

By the way your "for the fun of it" makes me feel like we still have some
explaining to do for you to understand the problem that we're facing.  I'd
say that we also shouldn't stick with the status quo "for the fun of it",
since it clearly is NOT a solution to the problem.

--
Joe Hildebrand