[rfc-i] Pagination requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue May 22 15:31:59 PDT 2012

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Even if all your points remain relevant in a new system, which would
> be unexpected to say the least, I still want pagination to go because
> linking to a page is something that very rarely happens, while trying
> to read an RFC with pages

As I previously mentioned, I regularly print out RFCs that I implement
and use the printed copy, and I am strongly opposed to make future RFCs
offline-unusable just for the sake of the fun of it.

Since printing with Web Browsers is still an open research problem,
the possibility of creating a paper printout of an RFC that will be a
close 100% match for printouts created by different people and
independent of whether I use "Legal" or "ISO A4" paper is also a
requirement.  Including a Table of Contents showing page numbers,
because that is how to navigate in printed copies!

And it really helps when running into ambiguities or defects when
the printout and the online version of the RFCs look similar.

-Martin